Products recommended in the post contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission when you buy something through our posts.
Electric griddles are a popular kitchen appliance because they offer the benefit of cooking food evenly on both sides. In this comprehensive review, we will take a look at some of the best rated electric griddles on the market and compare their features.
We will also discuss what factors you should consider when purchasing an electric griddle and provide some helpful tips for using one. By the end of this post, you should have all the information you need to make an informed decision about which electric griddle is right for you. Happy cooking!
Our Top Picks
What is an Electric Griddle?
Electric griddles are versatile cooking tools that can be used in the kitchen, on the patio, and even while camping. Here is some basic information about the electric griddle’s construction and some examples of how it can be utilized.
The electric griddle is typically steel and has an elliptical, flat cooking surface positioned above electric heating elements. Typically, the non-stick cooking surface of an electric griddle is surrounded by a channel or ridge that catches the grease or juices as they cook off the food. Typically, the juices are collected in a reservoir and can be used to make gravy or discarded.
Reasons Why You Should Love Your Electric Griddle
Essentially, an electric griddle is a large, flat cooking surface. Most griddles have a nonstick coating, but cast-iron griddles are also available. Electric griddles include a built-in heating element, whereas traditional griddles are heated on the stovetop, typically over two burners.
Benefits of an Electric Griddle
What purpose do griddles serve?
Most individuals use their griddle to prepare breakfast foods such as pancakes, French toast, bacon, and eggs. However, if you only use it for cooking breakfast, you may miss its numerous benefits. Since a griddle is a large, flat cooking surface, it can be used for various foods.
Here are a few advantages that will make you appreciate your griddle:
- Cooking area: Having a large cooking area means you can cook a lot of food at once, a significant advantage over traditional frying pans that can only fit a few pieces. A large steak and several tortilla quesadillas will fit comfortably.
- Flat surface: It is easier to manipulate food with a spatula on a flat surface with no raised edges.
- Even warming: While a stovetop griddle may have a few cooler spots in areas away from the stove burners, this is not a concern with an electric griddle, which provides even heating across its entire surface.
- Grease-free cooking: There is typically a well around the griddle to collect grease, thereby reducing the fat content of the food.
- More space: If you have an electric griddle, you can plug it in on the counter to free up space on your stovetop. For large meals such as Thanksgiving or Christmas, griddles help keep all the dishes warm.
- Warming capacities: You can place your electric griddle on a frame, creating a warm space underneath it when it is in use. You won’t need to turn on the oven because you can use the extra heat in that area to warm plates or keep the first batches of food warm while you cook the rest.
Here are some tasty foods that can be cooked on a griddle:
- Savory pancakes
- Cheese sandwiches grilled
- Falafel patties
10 Best Electric Griddles In The Market
Griddles are one of the most versatile cooking surfaces imaginable, despite being most often associated with pancakes and sunny-side-up eggs. You can use a griddle instead of an outdoor grill for cooking hamburgers while warming their buns, crisp carnitas while warming tortillas, and searing a steak. These larger cooktops provide ample space for cooking for a large household and can also be used as warming trays for a buffet. Electric griddles provide consistent heat and are typically easier to clean than built-in griddles and griddle pans because they can be utilized on any tabletop with access to an outlet.
Following is a list of the best electric griddles for your kitchen.
1. Best Overall Electric Griddle: Presto 07073 Electric Tilt-N-fold Griddle
This professional tilt-and-fold griddle is ideal for preparing breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The best feature of this grill is its ability to adjust from a flat surface for cooking eggs and pancakes to a raised surface for cooking meat quickly.
The griddle’s legs are collapsible for easy handling and storage, and its drip tray locks into place for compact and simple storage. However, the legs should be opened and kept straight during cooking. The griddle has a heavy cast aluminum base with a 254-square-inch cooking surface.
Its master heat control feature automatically maintains the desired cooking temperature, and when its heat controls are removed, it can be immersed in water for a thorough cleaning.
- Great for every meal: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Easily adjusts from a level cooking surface for eggs and pancakes to a tilted surface for meats
- Legs fold in and drip tray locks in place for easy, compact storage. Heavy cast aluminum base with large 254-square-inch cooking surface
- Premium nonstick surface ensures stick-free cooking and easy cleaning. Control Master heat control automatically maintains the desired cooking temperature
- Slide-out drip tray empties easily. Easy to clean. Fully immersible with the heat control removed
- Tilt to drain. Flip down the levers to tilt the grilling surface when cooking meats. Fold to store. Fits in most standard 18-inch kitchen cabinets
- The griddle folds easily to store and can fit in standard kitchen cabinets.
- The slide-out drip tray helps with quick cleanups
- The griddle features a heavy cast aluminum base
- The heating on the griddle surface is uneven, especially towards the edges.
2. Best Affordable Electric Griddle: Presto 07061 22-inch Electric Griddle
This griddle’s expansive cooking surface allows for the simultaneous preparation of various foods. Its premium nonstick surface facilitates cooking without food sticking to the surface, and this nonstick surface also makes cleaning the griddle simple. Its master heat control helps automatically maintain the desired cooking temperature.
We can remove the griddle’s handles without using any tools by simply opening its latch and washing it like a pro. The base can fit in any standard kitchen cabinet when its handles are removed.
This griddle’s heavy cast aluminum frame is resistant to warping and is completely submersible in water for cleaning when its heat control is deactivated.
This griddle’s total cooking surface is approximately 231 square inches, and its superior cooking surface facilitates nonstick cooking and expert cleaning. This griddle can maintain the desired temperature, and its slide-out drip tray makes removing and cleaning grease simple. In addition, the griddle comes with a one-year warranty. The coating contains neither PTFE nor PFOA.
- Premium nonstick surface provides stick-free cooking and easy cleaning. Slide-out drip tray removes and cleans easily.
- Control Master heat control maintains the desired cooking temperature automatically. Heavy cast aluminum base is virtually warp-proof.
- Griddle is fully immersible with the heat control removed.
- Simply open latch clips to detach handles from griddle base. No tools needed.
- With handles removed, base stores in most standard 18-inch kitchen cabinets.Cooking area: 231 square inch
- The slide-out drip tray helps in efficient cleaning
- Removable handles, without any tools
- Control master heat control helps in maintaining the desired cooking temperature easily.
- Heat doesn't spread completely across the griddle.
- Removing the handles is a little tough.
3. Best Electric Griddle Upgrade: Broil King PCG-10 Professional Portable Nonstick Griddle
In terms of consistent heating and cooking results, the Broil King Portable Nonstick Griddle was the best electric griddle we tested, producing batches of perfectly browned pancakes. Like the Tilt-n-Fold, the Broil King’s legs can be adjusted to tilt the cooking surface, allowing fat to drain into the grease trap.
This model costs roughly twice as much as the Tilt-n-Fold and is challenging to store vertically in a cabinet due to its bulkier design. It includes a removable stainless-steel backsplash, a good idea (reducing grease splatters and providing a backstop to help flip food with a spatula). Still, its flimsy construction makes it more of a nuisance than a standout feature.
The Broil King PCG 10 Professional Griddle is an easy-to-use, high-quality product that will serve most professionals admirably. Despite its few flaws, it produces quality cooking, which ultimately matters. Although the price may seem steep to some, it is worth every penny you spend on it.
- NEW environmentally friendly non-stick with non-stick coating
- Removable stainless-steel backsplash; rear legs help facilitate grease run-off.
- Adjustable heat up to 400 degrees F; cool-touch stainless-steel handles.
- Removable grease tray; immersible base with temperature probe removed.
- Unit Dimensions: W:29”x D:12.5”x H:5.5″. Cooking surface dimensions: 21″x12″
- NEW environmentally friendly non-stick with non-stick coating.
- Removable stainless-steel backsplash; rear legs help facilitate grease run-off.
- Adjustable heat up to 425 degrees F; cool-touch stainless-steel handles.
- Removable grease tray; immersible base with temperature probe removed.
- Measures 12-1/2 by 29 by 5-1/2 inches; 2-year warranty.
- Easy to use
- No temperature fluctuation
- Environmentally friendly
- Easy to clean
- A bit pricey
- Uneven heat distribution
- Doesn’t easily fit in a dishwasher
- Takes up a lot of kitchen space
4. Super Easy to Clean: Presto 07072 Slimline Griddle
As the name suggests, this griddle is extremely thin and resembles a tray more than a cooking unit. However, its broad and extra-large cooking surface is adequate for preparing delicious meals for the entire family. Its premium non-stick surface facilitates stick-free cooking for various dishes, while its slide-out drip tray prevents oil and grease from destroying the cooking unit.
This griddle is ideal for cooking every meal and transforming into a buffet server to serve guests warm food. Its 13 x 22-inch cooking surface facilitates large-scale cooking and buffet service, and its cast aluminum cooking surface is warp-resistant. To thoroughly clean the griddle, we can remove its handles and submerge it in water.
The compact size of this griddle makes it easy to store, and its master heat control features allow for optimal temperature maintenance. The griddle is great for cooking at 120 volts AC and can draw approximately 1500 watts of power. After being preheated for five to ten minutes, it heats exceptionally well.
- Extra-large cooking surface makes enough for the entire family. Premium nonstick surface for stick-free cooking and easy cleaning. Slide-out drip tray
- Great for every meal. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Low-profile buffet server. Griddle features a big 13×22-inch cooking surface ideal for buffet-style serving
- Heavy cast aluminum cooking surface is virtually warp-proof. Fully immersible with the heat control removed. Slimline design makes it convenient to store
- Control Master heat control maintains the desired temperature automatically
- Slide-out drip tray removes for quick cleaning
- The nonstick tray of this griddle can be removed for cleaning.
- It helps in cooking food for 6 to 8 people instantly
- The griddle has a very good build quality, and it is very easy to clean as well.
- It doesn’t have removable handles
- The temperature controls and heat distribution are not optimal.
5. Best Flat Top: BLACK+DECKER Family-Sized Electric Griddle
If you’re not interested in bells and whistles, the Black & Decker standard flat top griddle received the highest rating. This family-sized unit features a 200-square-inch cooking surface, ideal for griddling and grooving. The temperature can be easily adjusted with a click-and-lock thermostat, and all the foods we tested were thoroughly cooked in a short amount of time (it produced wonderfully crispy bacon and a mean grilled cheese).
And even though the surface cannot be removed and washed separately, the entire unit can be submerged in water, and since it’s so light and compact — a plus for storage — cleaning it by hand is not a hassle. It is advantageous that the ultra-smooth, nonstick coating requires minimal oil and cools rapidly after being unplugged.
The only real disadvantage of the Black and Decker is that the cord for the plug is extremely short, limiting where you can use it in your kitchen unless you purchase an extension cord.
- Extra-large capacity–8-serving cooking area (10”x20”)
- Non-stick cooking surface
- Click & lock thermostat with adjustable temperature
- Built-in warming tray
- Removable drip tray–easy cleanup
- Temperature ready light
- Cool-touch handles
- 2-year limited warranty
- Click and lock thermostat
- Water safe
- None that we could find
6. Best Value: Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 Electric Indoor Grill
The Hamilton Beach electric griddle satisfies (and in some cases exceeds) our basic expectations for an electric griddle, and has several special features that put it at the top of our list.
It comes with two reversible, PFOA-free, non-stick cooking plates that are easy to snap into place and feature flat griddles on one side and ridged grills on the other.
And while the trade-off is typically surface area (you frequently lose a considerable amount of cooking space where the plates meet), the transition is nearly seamless. Its 180 square inches allowed us to accommodate four large pancakes, three pieces of bacon, and two eggs without difficulty.
The plates can be removed and washed without submerging the entire unit in water (bonus: both the plates and the removable drip tray included with the griddle are dishwasher safe).
Each side of this griddle has its heating control, allowing you to independently adjust the temperature under each plate. This is extremely useful when cooking multiple items simultaneously. Not surprisingly, the heating consistency of the Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 griddle also performed exceptionally well in our tests.
In addition to evenly griddling our breakfast items, the Hamilton Beach grilled cheese to perfection, with evenly browned exteriors and fully melted interiors. And it did so faster than the other models we evaluated.
- 3 ways to cook: grill, griddle or grill and griddle combo
- 2 reversible, removable, nonstick cooking plates
- 2 cooking areas with independent, adjustable heat
- Center grease channel with removable tray
- Cooking plates and grease tray are dishwasher safe
- PFOA-free cooking plates
- 180 square inches of cooking surface
- Removable plates
- Easy to wash
- Adjustable temperature controls
- Very versatile
- 3 cooking options
- Separate temperature controllers
- Large grill surface
- Not easy to store
- Does not fold.
- The grease part can clog up
7. Editor’s Choice: Presto 07023 Cool-touch electric Griddle
This is an excellent electric griddle with a square shape that can cook eggs, pancakes, and sandwiches more efficiently than rectangular griddles. As it features an exclusive multi-functional tray, it not only aids in cooking but also in keeping food warm. The griddle’s raised edges are also used as a splatter shield. The flip pan swings forward for steaming and melting, and the flip-up can be removed if the pan is to be used for serving.
The griddle is ideal for cooking any meal, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and its built-in backstop ledge facilitates efficient food handling. The nonstick cooking surface reduces nonstick cooking and makes cleaning the griddle simple. The master heat control function helps keep food at the desired temperature for an extended period.
As a square-shaped, efficient griddle, it is ideal for cooking exceptional eggs, pancakes, and sandwiches more efficiently than rectangular griddles, as the entire cooking surface can be utilized. As with any other Presto appliance, the master heat control function aids in maintaining the ideal cooking temperature.
- Efficient “square” shape holds more pancakes, eggs, and sandwiches than conventional rectangular griddles
- Exclusive multi-function tray flips back to keep cooked foods Warm, flips up for use as a spatter shield, swings forward for melting and steaming, and removes for use as a serving tray
- Great for any meal: breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- R. Big 14- x 15″ cooking surface with built-in backstop ledge for easy food handling
- Nonstick cooking surface for stick-free cooking and easy cleaning
- Control Master heat control maintains desired cooking temperature
- When the heat control is removed, it is completely immersible in water.
- The slide-out drip tray removes excess grease for easy cleaning
- The warming plate feature is the best in this griddle.
- Helps save time, when cooking for a group of people.
- As it is large, it does take up a lot of space in the kitchen counter.
8. Zojirushi EA-DCC10 Gourmet Sizzler Electric Griddle
Regarding consistency, the Zojirushi performs flawlessly, efficiently producing identically crunchy bacon strips, golden pancakes, and soft-centered eggs. It has a wide temperature range, from 175°F (keep-warm function) to 425°F (smoking), and a large surface area of 237.5 square inches.
The stainless steel griddle has raised edges, making it easier to flip food, and it is the only model we tested with a lid, allowing you to steam food as well.
Surprisingly, it is the only option we considered that lacks a fat collector, so excess grease has nowhere to go. And while it can be completely submerged in water, it is heavy, making it difficult to store and wash in the sink.
It weighs 12 pounds, making it heavier than other models but not bulkier. It also has a cord slightly longer than 6 feet, which is convenient if you do not have an outlet adjacent to your cooking area. The griddle comes with a lid (an effective way to keep pancakes warm) and a stainless steel spatula, but I would use a silicone spatula to preserve the nonstick surface for as long as possible. As with other Zojirushi appliances, the power cord is detachable, making storage simple.
- Electric griddle with large cooking surface (19″ x 12.5″)
- Variable heat settings from Keep Warm (176 ) to 425. Easy-to-use temperature control plug clicks when inserted correctly
- Durable and easy-to-clean ceramic cooking surface with titanium enhanced nonstick coating
- Fully immersible body guard and cooking plate
- Convenient lid for speedy cooking
- Water safe
- Consistent heating
- Includes lid
- Doesn't include fat collector
- Too heavy
- Awkward to store
9. Cuisinart GR-5BP1 Electric Griddler
Who wouldn’t want a device that can perform five different tasks simultaneously, mainly when money and space are limited? The Cuisinart’s versatility as a full griddle, full grill, combination half griddle/half grill, contact grill, and panini press makes for a compelling elevator pitch. The issue is (at least as a griddle, the only function we tested) it performed poorly.
Initially, it was difficult to determine when the Cuisinart was adequately preheated (our pancakes dried out before they became brown). And for reasons we have yet to choose, it shut off while cooking our bacon, leaving the rashers sad and floppy.
While it’s enjoyable to have two separate cooking plates, the way they’re separated significantly reduces their surface area. The Cuisinart could not accommodate four pancakes and two eggs, and the bacon strips were too long to fit on the griddle in a straight line. Even when opened and placed as instructed, the unit’s back half (which also serves as the lid) did not lie flat. When we attempted to crack an egg on the griddle, it slid right off and into the fat collector.
Granted, the Cuisinart’s removable plates and folding lid make it simple to clean and store, but if you’re looking for a grill/griddle combination, we recommend the (less expensive and more reliable) Hamilton Beach.
- ENDLESS FUNCTIONS: The Griddler FIVE has a sleek contemporary design and used as a contact grill, panini press, full grill, full griddle and half grill/half griddle for endless options
- EASY TO USE: LCD Display shows function, temperature, and timer with user-friendly digital controls, top cover and handlebar for easy use
- MUST-HAVE FEATURES: Adjustable temperatures from 175 – 450 degrees with a sear function
- INCLUDED: Removable and reversible dishwasher-safe nonstick cooking plates that store easily, dishwasher-safe scraping tool for easy cleanup, instruction manual and gourmet recipes for your enjoyment
- LIMITED 3-YEAR WARRANTY: Refer to user manual for troubleshooting steps and questions surrounding warranty policies – this product is BPA free
- Removable plates
- Folding lid
- Easy to clean
- Doesn't lie flat
- Inconsistent heating
10. Best for Crepes: NutriChef Electric Griddle and Crepe Maker
This electric crepe maker and griddle by NutriChef has an easy-to-adjust temperature dial and a large, flat, nonstick cooking surface (12 inches) that cooks quickly and evenly, as our reviewer notes: “It has a remarkably even cooking surface. The crepes were cooked uniformly on both sides “she raves. This surface also has a short lip so that your batter does not spill over the edge.
In addition, the NutriChef comes with a wooden pastry spreader and a wooden crepe turner with beveled edges, which our tester found incredibly useful for folding over large crepes. She also appreciates the appliance’s versatility, as it can be used to prepare eggs, bacon, and sausage, among other breakfast favorites.
- Simple Crepe & Blintz Cooking
- Compact, Quick & Convenient Cooktop
- Temperature Adjustable Rotary Dial
- Ultra Quiet Operation
- Safe for Any Countertop, Tabletop, Kitchen Top
- Heats quickly and evenly
- Quick temperature adjustments
- Makes an electrical buzzing sound
Best Electric Griddle Buyer’s Guide
If you’ve decided that an Electric Griddle is the perfect tool for you, then let us help you find one that’s right for your cooking needs! Electric griddles come in all shapes and sizes – from massive commercial models to pint-sized personal ones – so it might take some time to sift through everything available on the market. The following tips will help make your search a little easier:
Cooking Surface Area: Electric griddles can range considerably in terms of the surface area they offer. If you’re cooking for a small family or don’t plan on using your griddle all that often, then consider opting for a smaller size.
On the other hand, if you’re looking to cook multiple pancakes at once or host large gatherings, you should probably go with something larger, like the Perten Electric Griddle1650-Watt Electric Griddle, which offers an impressive 16-by-12 inch working area and can accommodate over 40 pancakes at once!
Cooking Power: Electric griddles also offer different levels of power. The more powerful your electric griddle, the faster it will heat up and cook your food. If you want to get cooking quickly, then opt for something with more wattage, like the Hamilton Electric Griddle1505-Watt Electric Griddle. If you prefer a lower heat setting, then consider choosing something with less power.
Grease Management: Almost every Electric Griddle will have some grease management system – maybe it’s a drip tray or removable griddles. Whatever your preference is, make sure you choose an Electric Griddle that offers easy cleaning and disposal to save yourself time down the road!
Price: Electric griddles range in price considerably depending on factors such as size, cooking surface area, cooking power, etc. We recommend checking out the price comparison chart first.
Electric griddles are ideal for cooking a variety of breakfast foods, as well as hamburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. Unlike a range burner, an electric griddle’s surface is uniformly heated throughout. They are the home cook’s equivalent of the flat-top cooking surface.
If you enjoy cooking traditional American breakfasts in your kitchen, an electric griddle may be worth considering. Electric griddles are a more affordable at-home version of the flat-top cooking surfaces used by quick-service restaurant cooks.
Definitely get an electric griddle with a nonstick surface—it’s a standard option—and consider what you’re cooking and subsequently how often you’ll need to clean your griddle. Take a look at the drip tray, if one’s included, to make sure it’s wide enough or deep enough to handle greasy foods like bacon or burgers.
Griddles can operate between 200° and 550°F, however, cooking temperatures normally fall between 225° and 375°F. Most units reach their thermostatically controlled cooking temperature in 15 to 30 minutes.
Can Electric Grills Be Left Outside? Ideally, you shouldn’t leave your electric grill outside if there’s any chance of rain. If your grill gets wet, you risk damaging the internal components or electrocution when you plug it in and turn it on.
The griddle surface is one of the most important features to consider when shopping for a griddle. A stainless steel surface is one of the best options. Stainless steel and rolled steel are durable and won’t rust or corrode, which is essential for outdoor use. Cast iron is also a great option.
As a rule, electric griddles are not designed to be used as hot plates as their primary purpose is to cook a range of foods on a hot surface using the electric element as the heating source. While it may not be designed for this purpose, there could be times when it would work as a warmer.
It works well for not only pancakes and eggs but also bacon, French toast, hash browns, and other breakfast items. Griddles are also often used for cooking burgers and other hot sandwiches such as grilled cheese. An electric griddle does have a few advantages over one that is in or on the stovetop.
You need to season your griddle before you use it. Seasoning a piece of catering equipment means creating a layer of oil to stop food from sticking and protecting the metal from corroding.
The Electric Griddle is a relatively new cooking appliance, but it has quickly become hugely popular amongst homemakers and chefs alike. Electric griddles have many uses, which is why they’re so versatile.
Because of their smooth surfaces, electric griddles are perfect for making pancakes, French toast, omelets, grilled sandwiches, even crispy bacon! Electric griddles can also be used interchangeably with fry pans to cook fish, chicken, and more!
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Largo Bar and Grill. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.