Products recommended in the post contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission when you buy something through our posts.
Potato soup is always popular and, with this creamy sweet potato soup recipe, we are using sweet potatoes rather than regular potatoes. You can use yams instead if you prefer or even a combination of regular potatoes and sweet ones. You might have made baked potato soup or sauteed potato soup before but grilling the sweet potatoes brings the natural sweetness and juiciness to the forefront and gives a great result. The ginger gives this sweet potato soup recipe a hint of Eastern flavor and it contrasts well with the potatoes, adding a nice taste to the soup.
This is a great recipes for outdoor grilled vegetables because the grill also brings out the flavor in the onion and ginger. If you do not like sun-dried tomatoes, you can garnish this soup with some grated cheese or simply just with the fresh parsley. Feel free to adapt this dish any way you like. Substituting ingredients in grilled soup recipes means that you can fine-tune them closer to your personal taste. Perhaps you fancy adding extra cayenne or trying lemon juice instead of the lime juice.
The lime juice counters the sweetness of the sweet potatoes in this potato soup recipe and the cayenne pepper and allspice add a touch of spice, which livens up the recipe and brings out the wonderful fresh vegetable flavors. This is a warming recipe and it is ideal for any season. This potato soup is filling enough for lunch or as an entree. Alternatively, you could serve smaller portions and use it as an appetizer.
- Cuisine: American
- Recipe type: Soup
- Serves: 8
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 red onion
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- ¼ cup Half & Half
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- Chopped sun-dried tomatoes to garnish
- Chop the sweet potatoes into ½ inch rounds and chop the onion the same way.
- Peel the ginger but do not chop it.
- Grill the sweet potatoes, onion, and ginger over a medium heat for 6 minutes per side, and then chop the ginger finely.
- Add the ginger, potatoes, onion, cayenne and allspice to a saucepan, bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Let the soup cool for 15 minutes then blend it until it is smooth.
- Add the half and half, lime juice, parsley, zest, and heat up.
- Serve garnished with the parsley and sun-dried tomatoes.
Bangin Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Grilled Steak Potato Mushroom Kabobs
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at Largo Bar and Grill. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.